Do I have to pay?

When you have your care needs assessed by a local authority there are usually three outcomes. Assistance is not required, permanent residential care is required or care is required but can be provided in your home (known as domiciliary care).

In England if you have capital in excess of £21,500 you are expected to meet the full cost of your care, if your capital is less than £13,000 your capital is disregarded and the local authority may fund the full cost of your care. If your capital is between £13,000 and £21,500 your capital is converted into tariff income; this is added to your other income to determine you ability to fund the cost of your care.

From October 2001 the NHS in England has been responsible for meeting the cost of care provided by registered nurses (RNCC known as "free nursing care") to self funding residents in care homes, but not in your own home. In April 2003 this was extended to residents whose accommodation is arranged by the local authority. There used to be three bands, low, medium and high but this was amended to a single payment of £101 per week 1st October 2007, with the exception for those who where previously assessed as requiring a high band of cover still maintaining their £140 per week. This payment is made to the care provider and ceases upon entering a NHS hospital.

In the case of a married couple, the spouse's income or capital will be ignored on an assessment unless they too require care from the local authority. If this is the case both are assessed separately with their own individual limits applied.

If you would like further information please contact us